1. Introduce yourself and your part in the band.
I’m LJ and I play guitar and write in the band
2. First off is it pronounced mar-il-land or mary-land?
Canadians always pronounce it mary-land but it’s maryland like the state!
3. What band do you aspire to be like?
Personally sound-wise were trying to do something different by incorporating heavier instruments and super poppy vocals, without going too far in either direction.
4. What do you guys like to write about?
Both of our demo tracks were written vocally by two different people so I guess you’d really have to ask them!
5. Which do you like better Edmonton or Vancouver?
I’ve lived in both cities and Edmonton will always be home but Vancouver is definitely where my heart is!
6. Do you think it is easier or harder emerging as a band out of Canada?
I think it’s a lot harder, much smaller market so making a living as a full-time musician isn’t an easy task at all. Like look at the platinum and gold numbers in comparison to the states, you sell gold here and you’re still working a 9-5! Also touring is a lot harder since everything is so spread out.
7. Tell me about this picture of Oliver Sykes wearing a shirt with your name on it.
Hahaha well a mutual friend hooked us up because bmth was in Edmonton and they needed some dudes to take em out while they were here. Super amazing dudes!! Oli isn’t very good at go karting tho! Jesse (emmure) however kills it!
8. Is there a certain place you like to be when writing?
No place in particular really, when the mood or idea for a song hits, well it hits!
9. What do you think separates you from the rest of the pop punk bands out there?
10. What do you strive to achieve as a band?
I wanna make a mark in music, try to do something original and have a blast while doing it. Making a living off my music would be amazing but it’s not everything.
11. When can we expect some new music from you guys?
Yeah! Unfortunately it’s going to be with a few different people but there will definitely be more maryland.
12. Any other exciting news you want to share?
Uhmmm! Everybody should check out living with lions!! And I wanna give a shout out to all the bands I’ve played with and partied with, especially those local Edmonton bands! Keep supporting Canadian music!!